Lumbago or low back pain is the most common spinal problem for adults. It affects all genders. The cause of this back pain is pathological problems in lumbar spine which consists of the spine’s last five vertebrae.
You can be assured of the best lumbar spine surgery in India by doing research on best spine surgeon in India. Indian surgeons are highly experienced and use the most modern medical technology. The most common lumbar spine surgery procedures are: Decompression and Fusion.
COMMON CAUSES OF LOW BACK PAIN:
- Degeneration of intervertebral disc: As age advances, the disc shrinks and wears off causing pain.
- Disc rupture or herniation: Weakened disc exerts pressure on center of intervertebral disc.
- Sciatica/ Radiculopathy: Condition in which spinal stenosis or ruptured/ herniated disc leads to injury, inflammation and compression to the root of the spinal nerve, causing radiating pain.
- Spondylolisthesis: Normal process of aging makes it tough for spinal ligaments and bones to maintain position and pinching of spinal bones causes back pain.
- Spinal stenosis: the spinal canal narrows, leaving less space for the nerves and spinal cord causing compression and pain.
- Skeletal abnormalities
- Inflammation in spine
- Infection in vertebrae
- Tumors in spine
- Traumatic injury of spine
SURGERIES FOR LOW BACK PAIN:
This surgery is done to relive pressure on nerves by removing bone and ligament pressing over nerves and diseased discs.
The various procedures for decompression surgery are:
- Discectomy: removing part of a disc to alleviate pressure on nerve roots nearby.
- Laminotomy or laminectomy: Removal of a small portion of the spinal canal’s bony arches, called the lamina. Only a section of the lamina is removed in a laminotomy. But in a laminectomy, the complete lamina is removed. This enhances the size of the spinal canal, lessening pressure.
- Foraminotomy or foraminectomy: Both procedures expand the openings for nerve roots for exiting spinal cord getting rid of tissue and bones. The scale of removal is larger for foraminectomy.
- Removal of Osteophyte: Surgery removes bony growths called bone spurs or osteophytes.
- Corpectomy: Surgery that removes body of vertebrae, as also disks.
This surgery is designed to form solid bone, between side by side vertebrae, stopping any movement between concerned bones. The aim of this surgery is to reduce nerve irritation and pain. The discs that are diseased are excised and replaced with rods and screws and spacer device.
Fusion surgery has two approaches:
POSTERIOR APPROACH (3 in number): surgery is done from the back
- Postero lateral gutter fusion surgery
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody fusion (TLIF) surgery
- Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion (PLIF) surgery
ANTERIOR APPROACH: Place the bone directly into the area midst of the vertebrae where the disc for shock absorption had been located.
CANDIDATES FOR LUMBAR SPINAL SURGERY:
- Persons experiencing pain radiating from the back to thigh or buttocks
- Pain that interferes with daily routine
- Weakness of feet or legs
- Numbness of toes, feet, legs
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- No impact of medication or physical therapy
The cost of lumbar spine surgery in India differs with chosen type of surgery and is very low. For instance, spinal decompression surgery cost in India starts from US $4,500 which is among the lowest in the world.